Outside Sales Representative/Service Consultant - Heron
Outside Sales Representative/Service Consultant
Service Consultants are responsible for all sales activities in their assigned regions. They must be able to manage an assigned pool of customers by providing quality and consistency of customer service delivery. This role requires the individual be self-motivated, constantly seeking to build strong relationships with customers, keep customers educated in regards to their lawn, pest control, irrigation and termite problems, be able to come up with solutions to customers’ concerns, be pro-active in recognizing potential difficulties, and be creative in bringing in new accounts.
The service consultant reports to the Branch Manager, and does not supervise any employees.
Education, Experience and Skill Requirements
A high school diploma or equivalent is preferred. Basic reading, writing, arithmetic, and communication skills are a must. Consultants must have the ability to work dutifully without constant supervision, as well as be able to develop and deliver presentations. Must be able to compose concise and persuasive verbal and written presentations to educate and influence potential and current customers. Knowledge of advertising and sales promotion techniques are a plus. Strong interpersonal skills are required. Must possess a valid driver’s license and meet company driving standards. Must be able to speak, and communicate in English. Must meet company drug screen and background check requirements. Must be capable of learning and building rapport with customers. Necessary characteristics include but are not limited to, being friendly, professional, paying attention-to-detail, and taking pride in your work.
- Maintain a professional appearance and provide a positive company image to the public.
- Inspect properties and structures to identify potential and existing insect, rodent, pathogenic, or cultural problems in landscape ornamentals and turf grass, or within or adjacent to the building or structure.
- Understand directions, be able to read a map book, and route scheduled and/or assigned stops effectively and efficiently.
- Present and sell company products and services to current and potential clients.
- Prepare action plans and schedules to identify specific targets and to project the number of contacts to be made.
- Follow up on new leads and referrals resulting from field activity.
- Identify sales prospects and contact these and other accounts as assigned.
- Develop and maintain sales materials.
- Attend scheduled appointments dutifully and timely.
- Demonstrate competence in identification and diagnosis of pest problems, and insect, disease, weed and cultural issues associated with the normal cycle of turf grass and ornamentals in residential and commercial properties. Provide customer with a solution that would render our services attractive and necessary.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service practices as defined by company standards.
- Prepare presentations, proposals and sales contracts to existing and potential customers.
- Prepare a variety of status reports, including activity, closings, follow-up, and adherence goals.
- Coordinate company staff to accomplish the work required to close sales.
- Develop and implement special sales activities to increase lead potential.
- Establish and maintain potential and current client relationships.
- Prepare paperwork to activate and maintain contract services.
- Manage account services through quality checks and follow ups.
- Identify and resolve client concerns in the field, and defer all unresolved issues to management.
- Communicate new product and service opportunities, special developments, information, or feedback gathered through field activity to appropriate company staff.
- Must be able to drive a company vehicle safely and courteously.
- Must stay compliant with all company and state/federal safety standards.
- Report any damage due to treatment, additional concern, or unsuccessful treatment to management.
- Properly maintain vehicles and equipment, and keep clean at all times.
- Participate in training events such as seminars, rallies and other meetings.
- Provide on-the-job training to new service consultants.
- Perform other various duties as assigned.
The ability to endure frequent extreme temperatures is required. Constant hearing, seeing, and mental alertness is required. Frequent walking, standing, bending, reaching, handling small items and equipment, talking, sitting while driving, hand-eye-coordination, gross motor coordination, and manual dexterity is required. Occasional grasping, carrying tools, pulling, pushing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling in small spaces, climbing, and ladder usage is required.
Typical Work Conditions and Schedule
Service consultants work indoors and outdoors, with frequent contact with customers. They are exposed to all types of weather conditions. Occasional exposure to chemicals, products, and fertilizers. Work involves daily local travel, to current and potential customers. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule. Required to work every third Saturday, but additional Saturday time may occasionally be required if necessary to meet expected sales quotas and units. Work is full-time, and five to six days per week.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Link to Federal employment poster: