Rentokil Initial has an IT strategy, in the main, of developing and deploying bespoke applications across the Prospect to Cash business processes. The Group Information Systems (GIS) function is developing an exciting new generation suite of Enterprise solutions utilising Google Cloud Platform.
The successful candidate will have achieved proficiency as a Leader/Facilitator that helps a application product team to self-organise and self-manage to deliver the stories and tasks they have committed to. Champions agile practices and removes blockers/ impediments and facilitates communication with other product teams, shared platforms and shared services to deliver respective commitments.
Main Purpose of role:
● Maintains knowledge of specific specialisms, provides detailed advice regarding their application and executes specialised tasks. (can be any area of information or communication technology, technique, method, product or application area).
● Ensuring that appropriate methods and tools for the planning, development, testing, operation, management and maintenance of systems are adopted and used effectively throughout the organisation.
● Works under broad direction. Work is often self-initiated. Is fully responsible for meeting allocated technical and/or project/supervisory objectives.
● Establishes milestones and has a significant role in the assignment of tasks and/or responsibilities.
● Builds appropriate and effective business relationships. Makes decisions which impact the success of assigned work, i.e. results, deadlines and budget.
● Performs an extensive range and variety of complex technical and/or professional work activities. Undertakes work which requires the application of fundamental principles in a wide and often unpredictable range of contexts.
● Takes all requirements into account when making proposals. Takes initiative to keep skills up to date. Mentors colleagues. Maintains an awareness of developments in the industry.
● Demonstrates creativity, innovation and ethical thinking in applying solutions for the benefit of the customer/stakeholder
Key Skills against the career framework
Strategy and architecture »Advice and guidance»Technical Specialism
Strategy and architecture »Technical strategy & planning» Methods & Tools
Tasks and Responsibilities
● Prepare and facilitate the teams events, scrum ceremonies. Help the team identify blockers / impediments and remove them or escalate to the Product Owner for resolving
● Prepares for and participates in the PI- planning event and supports the Product Group Lead and other POs as a member of Product Management.
● Supports the team in estimating features.
● Work closely with Product Owner, thereby contributing to the backlog refinement. Supports the Product Owner in regards to communication with the teams stakeholders.
● Supports the Product Owner with reporting progress (via existing tools/dashboards)
● Protects the team from outside interference that might affect the flow of work.
● Work with the line managers to manage “people issues” on a day-to-day basis, ensuring an open and honest three-way communication.
● Act as the interface between product teams and other teams and attend ad-hoc management meetings when relevant
● Promotes quality and ensures that the product teams follow the RI standard, policies and guidelines in delivering their work.
● Ensures the team's compliance to RI business processes and policies, especially the development process and the life cycle management process.
● Teach and coach the team in agile, thereby increasing their agile maturity.
Implement and support Lean-Agile principles and practices.
● Provide honest feedback to the team members and support the line managers in developing individuals.
● Creates a learning environment with ongoing feedback and recognition Promotes a culture in which the individual takes responsibility for the quality of the product and encourages review and knowledge sharing among colleagues..
● Participates in scrum of scrum, managing risks and dependencies and working to resolve impediments
● Develops business proposals to exploit technology in line with the organisation’s mission, objectives and strategy, clearly articulating, and formally reporting benefits
● Carries out prototyping, proofs of concept, and evaluation of technology and/or products.
● Advises methods and tools users on the most effective use of the methods and tools, resolving problems and queries.
● Estimates costs, timescales and resource requirements for the successful delivery of the project(s) to agreed terms of reference.
● Prepares and maintains realistic project schedules (showing tasks and dependencies) and quality plans and tracks all activities against them, providing regular and accurate reports to senior management as appropriate.
● Ensures that own projects are formally closed and, where appropriate, subsequently reviewed, and that lessons learned are captured and actioned. Produces appropriate documentation to support these processes.
● Helps design and develop products based on maximising customer value, whilst minimising development and service costs. Helps ensure fit with the existing portfolio.
● Provides advice and guidance on the development, documentation and application of standards, procedures and other quality managed processes.
● Develops and maintains knowledge of the technical specialism by, for example, reading relevant literature, attending conferences and seminars, meeting and maintaining contact with others involved in the technical specialism..
● Ensures that all activities are focussed on the strategic outcomes, ensuring tasks are specifically linked to the measurable benefits.
● Maintains up-to-date knowledge of emerging technology trends and developments.
- Ideally has previoulsy worked within a DevOps workkg environment
● Has proven project and people management skills with knowledge of own organisation’s policy framework, management structures and reporting procedures..
● Has good oral and written communication skills, an appreciation of overall practices and applications within ICT, and the flexibility to interpret standards pragmatically.
● Has comprehensive knowledge of methods and tools such as Jira.
● Has a sound, broad knowledge of IT and an excellent understanding of how the technical specialism relates to other areas of IT and how it impacts on other business functions.
● Probably educated to bachelor degree level or holds a relevant professional qualification.
- Salary Range: £35k-£50k
- Company Pension Scheme (3/4/5% from Employee matched 6/8/10% by RI)
- Private Medical cover (self with the option to pay for dependants)
- 23 days holiday rising to 25 after 5 years, plus 8 bank holidays
- Free Parking
- Free Employee Assistance Programme
- Death in Service benefit of 4 x annual salary
- International Travel
- FTSE 100 company with incredible growth and plans to grow further through both organic and acquisition
- A company that takes Digital seriously with great support from the Board and CEO
- Awards including: Queens Award for Innovation and IoT Solution of the year
Rentokil Initial believes in supporting all employees to provide equal opportunities and avoid discrimination. We also place emphasis on workplace diversity which means that we are serious about creating an inclusive environment that accepts each individual's differences, embraces their strengths and provides opportunities for all colleagues to achieve their full potential.